This article was originally published on https://dorylabs.com/disable-remove-knox-on-galaxy-devices/
KNOX is a security feature developed by Samsung with protection in mind. According to Samsung, Knox will protect your Galaxy device. It will scan all the files and if anything suspicious if found it will alert you to take actions. At first, Knox was delivered with the Android 4.3 update on Galaxy Note 3. Nowadays every Galaxy device has KNOX implemented on the system. This security feature was created especially for the business environment but now we find it on all Galaxy devices.
But what is Knox and why we should have it on our devices? The main task of Knox is to prevent data from falling into the wrong hands. It has other tasks as well, so it protects your phone from malicious attacks. Knox also detects if your phone is rooted or not and this is something that Android users don’t like. Because the manufacture detects that you have rooted your phone then you lose your warranty. If Knox detects that you have rooted your phone it has a value that will trigger and you can’t do anything to revert it back.
But the fact that the Knox is like a spy when it comes to root isn’t a strong reason to uninstall it. If you haven’t noticed yet Knox drain your battery very fast because it needs to scan all the system files and run in the background almost all the time. So this could be a strong reason to uninstall Knox. Below we have covered some easy tricks to disable and remove Knox on every Galaxy device. Also, we have covered a section on how to completely remove Knox from Galaxy s6 and S6 Edge by installing a Custom ROM which is free of Knox.
How To Disable KNOX On Galaxy Devices
If your phone has already updated to Android 4.3 is almost impossible to completely remove KNOX. But there are certain ways you can disable it. We managed to find few ways to disable KNOX on galaxy devices. The first method you can try to disable KNOX is to follow the instructions given on Samsung’s support page:
- Take your phone and find the Knox app.
- Launch the app and go to settings. Tap on “Knox Settings”
- Choose “Uninstall Knox”
- When trying to uninstall Knox you will be asked if you want to keep Knox data or not. If you want to keep the data then select “Backup Now” and then OK.
- Type Knox password and then tap on continue.
- Tap on Next. Before the process of uninstalling Knox is complete your data will be saved.
- Tap on “OK” and it will uninstall Knox.
- If you decided to backup Knox data then go to Menu > My Files > All > Knox. There will be a zip file with all the Knox content.
Uninstall Knox using flashing files
Another useful guide found on the biggest Android community, XDA involves in flashing files. Remember to backup all your important data before flashing files. Also, you will need a Custom Recovery, find it on the XDA forum. After installing the Recovery follow the steps below:
- Download Degraded Shadow’s KNOX removerV2.1.zip.
- Put it somewhere on your phone internal memory when you can find it easily.
- Turn off your phone and boot into Recovery.
- Flash the file and Reboot.
- It should remove KNOX
Uninstall Knox using Root Explorer
Also, there is another way but it requires root access. If you haven’t rooted your Galaxy device yet you can try to root it by following this guide. It will root your phone easily without needing a PC. After rooting your phone download Root Explorer from Play Store. Once downloaded open the app and search for “Knox”. All the files with the name Knox should appear. Remove all these files and then restart your phone.
Disable Knox using Terminal Emulator
- Download and install Terminal Emulator from Play Store.
- Launch it and if prompted for root permissions grant it.
- in the command box type the following command:
su pm disable com.sec.knox.seandroid
- Knox will be disabled on your device.
These are probably the best and easiest way to remove Knox from Galaxy devices. If you find anything else that you think it is helpful for Galaxy users then don’t hesitate to share it with us in the comment section below.
How To Remove & Uninstall Knox From Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge
The best way to remove Knox on Galaxy S6 or S6 Edge is to install a Custom ROM. We found a ROM which has Knox removed by default and it’s stable enough to be used as a daily driver. The ROM is tested on many devices and until now no issues are reported so if you want to have your Galaxy S6 free of Knox that you should install a Custom ROM by following the steps below:
- You should install a Custom Recovery on Galaxy S6 or S6 edge.
- Make sure to backup all your important data if you don’t want to lose anything.
- Charge your phone at least 60% so it won’t turn off automatically during the flashing process.
How To Install The ROM
- Turn off your phone.
- Boot into Recovery by pressing Volume Up + Power Button + Home in the same time.
- Once you are in Recovery perform a full wipe.
- Flash the ROM.
- Restart and Enjoy.
The first boot may take more time than usual. Give it the needed time. Once your phone is turned on it will be running XtreStoLite ROM which has Knox removed.